For the past several Saturdays, I have been reposting here a series that I did daily on the Facebook Indiana Transportation History group daily in March and April of 2018, the “Road Trip 1926.” That series only includes the roads that were added to the system on 01 October 1926. But the Indiana State Highway Commission had also planned other routes to be added to the system. These were “authorized additions.” These roads would fill in the numbers that some readers will notice are missing. It also allowed for connections of the same roads. It would also allow for the completion of US routes across Indiana. This list only includes those roads that were authorized in 1926. Many more roads would come (and go) later.
SR 1: A note of correction from the already published Road Trip 1926 entry on SR 1. The first several maps of SR 1 on that page, from Elrod to Batesville are actually an authorized addition. That authorized addition continued from Batesville to US 52 at Metamora. From there the road continued, as shown in the original post, from Brookville to Cambridge City, via Connersville and Milton.
SR 2: SR 2 covered the territory of much the original Lincoln Highway from Valparaiso, through Westville, and LaPorte to meet US 20 at Rolling Prairie (the current SR 2 from that point to South Bend was US 20 originally). It then picked back up in Elkhart, connecting Goshen, Ligonier, Merriam, and Churubusco to Fort Wayne. Again, this was the original Lincoln Highway. On the west, from Valparaiso, the road connected Hebron and Lowell, to end at US 41 west of Lowell. The authorized addition left US 41 from Belshaw, traveling southwest to the Illinois-Indiana State Line.
SR 6: Authorized addition was planned from Munster, through Griffith, Westville, Lapaz, and Nappanee to connect to the SR 6 that started south of Ligonier. SR 6 then connected to Kendallville, Waterloo and Butler to the Indiana-Ohio State Line. The whole route would later become US 6.
SR 16: There was no SR 16 as laid out in the original plan. The western section of the road connected the Illinois-Indiana State Line northwest of Enos, through Winamac to meet with US 31 at Rochester. The eastern section connected US 24 at Huntington almost due east through Decatur to the Indiana-Ohio State Line.
SR 19: A Nappanee to Elkhart authorized addition, without any commissioned section.
SR 21: A coming road that connects Marion to Peru through Sweetser, Converse, Amboy and Santa Fe.
SR 22: The authorized addition started at the Illinois-Indiana State Line at Ambia to end at Boswell and US 41. This connected to the in place road that connected to Oxford and ended at US 52 near Otterbein.
US 24: The section between New Haven, east of Fort Wayne, to the Indiana-Ohio State Line wasn’t added to the state highway system originally. The route connecting New Haven to Ohio SR 31 (US 24) was being determined when the Great Renumbering rook place.
SR 25: The entirety of this route is an authorized addition. Starting in Lafayette, the road is to connect to SR 29 (Historic Michigan Road) south of Logansport on the Carroll-Cass County Line via Delphi. From there, SR 25 was to follow the Historic Michigan Road from Logansport to Rochester. The last section took the road from Rochester to Warsaw.
SR 28: The original SR 28 was located in two different pieces. The first section was from US 31 west of Tipton, through Tipton to north of Alexandria. The other section started in Muncie, working its way east through Farmland and Winchester to Union City on the Indiana-Ohio State Line (where it became SR 29 in Ohio). The ISHC was authorized to add from the Illinois-Indiana west of Williamsport, through Williamsport, Attica, and Frankfort to connect to the then current SR 28 at US 31. Another authorized addition connected Alexandria to SR 3 north of Muncie.
SR 34: Originally, this road only ran from the Illinois-Indiana State Line west of Covington, through Covington and Veedersburg to Crawfordsville. The state was already planning to continue the road from Crawfordsville to Indianapolis, taking over one of the routes of the original Dixie Highway.
SR 35: The southern section of this road was a coming addition, connecting the Palmyra to Vallonia road to Corydon.
US 36: Basically, US 36 started at SR 63 at Hillsdale, going east to Indianapolis. The road also started at the Illinois-Indiana State Line and worked its way west. So the ISHC was authorized to connect the two sections of this state, errr, US route. (US highways are actually state highways with the same number crossing a state line. That is covered here.)
SR 38: A new ISHC road connecting New Castle to Richmond, via Hagerstown, Green Fork and Chester.
SR 43: The defined SR 43 on the day of the Great Renumbering started at Spencer, working its way through Cloverdale, Greencastle, Crawfordsville, to Lafayette. From there, the plan was to continue the road through Chalmers, Reynolds, Monon, San Pierre, Lacrosse, Wanatah, Westville to end at Michigan City.
SR 44: The original path of SR 44 was a rather circuitous route from Connersville to Liberty, ending at US 27. Plans were already in place to expand the road from Connersville to Rushville.
SR 45: Starting at Rockport on the Ohio River, SR 45 traveled north, multiplexing with SR 62 near Gentryville, then through Dale, Huntingburg, Jasper ending at Haysville at SR 56. Two additions were authorized at the time: one, connecting Haysville to Loogootee on US 50/US 150; and two, from (authorized) SR 54 at Cincinnati northeasterly to Bloomington.
SR 46: The original SR 46 after the Great Renumbering consisted of two sections: one) the Bloomington-Nashville-Columbus road and two) connecting Greensburg via Batesville, Penntown, Sunman, Manchester to Lawrenceburg. The section from Columbus to Greensburg was authorized to be added to the state inventory.
SR 48: A future state road starting at US 50 in Aurora, ending at SR 46. This road is now SR 148, and the end is at SR 48, which was originally SR 46.
SR 49: The ISHC was going to add SR 49 from Valparaiso to US 12/20 north of Porter.
SR 54: The authorized additions to this state road outnumber, and out distance, the original designated part of the road. The first addition was to connect Merom, on the Wabash River, to US 41 south of Sullivan. At that point, the original designated road commenced. The original route connected to Dugger, Linton, Switz City and Bloomfield. From there, another authorized addition started, connecting to (what was to become) SR 45 at Cincinnati (IN), Springville and ending at SR 37 at Oolitic.
SR 56: Originally commissioned from US 41 at Princeton, through Oakland City, Winslow, Jasper, Haysville, French Lick, West Baden, to SR 37 and US 150 at Paoli. It also connected Scottsburg to Blocher, Madison, Vevay, Rising Sun to US 50 at Aurora. With authorized additions, the completed SR 56 would connect the Wabash River opposite Mount Carmel, Illinois, to Princeton, and from Paoli through Salem to Scottsburg. This would make the total SR 56 span the entire state.
SR 58: A new road running along the Ohio River from SR 56 in Vevay to SR 56 near Rising Sun. Later, SR 58 would be located some place else, with this route becoming a daughter of SR 56, SR 156.
SR 59: This road started at SR 54 northwest of Linton, traveling north through Clay City to Brazil. The ISHC was authorized to add from Brazil to Rockville, where it would connect to the northern section of SR 59.
SR 61: Another short state road with more authorized addition miles than commissioned miles. The route connect SR 56, south of Winslow, to Petersburg and SR 57. The ISHC was adding, at the time, sections from SR 56 south to Boonville, and from Petersburg to Vincennes.
SR 62: This state route started in Mount Vernon, working its way across the state through Evansville, Boonville, Lincoln City, Leavenworth, Corydon, to New Albany. The ISHC was authorized to add from Mount Vernon west to the Wabash River to its inventory as SR 62.
SR 65: Connecting Mount Vernon to New Harmony, Poseyville, Cynthiana, ending at Owensville. The road was authorized to continue north to a junction with the authorized addition to SR 56 between Mount Carmel, Illinois, and Princeton.
SR 66: This road only appeared on the October 1926 map as an authorized addition, connecting US 41 at Evansville to SR 45 at Rockport.
SR 67: The ultimate goal for SR 67 was to connect Vincennes to a state road in Ohio aiming for, most probably, Cleveland. And it made it as far as Muncie. Authorized addition, in 1926, would bring the road from Muncie to Portland, then up US 27 to Bryant, then due east to the Indiana-Ohio State Line, where it connected to Ohio SR 32 west of Celina.